Friday, July 14, 2006

Hot as Hell

I am going camping with my scout troop this weekend. It's the troops annual week long stay up at Tomahawk Scout Reservation (TSR). I got a call from our scoutmaster saying that they needed an extra adult to go with and want to know if I was considering going or not. I told him that I actually had saturday through thursday off, and that I could go up there for that long. He said thta would be okay because some of the other kid's dads are coming up on friday. So I scrambled to get all my camping gear ready. I just need to get everything packed now. I really like camping alot. My troop keeps records of how many nights each scout/adult has camped out. I think my last tally was 270 nights. I just calculated that out and it's like 3/4 of a year, wow.
From all the peope I have talked to and looked at weatherchannel.com, it's going to be scorching outside for like the next 9 days. Crap. Just when I am at camp, mother nature decides to dump out all the heat. The type of tents we are staying in are old Korean war canvas A-frames. So with the heat it's going to be even tougher. We will make do though, everyone knows how to keep hydrated. Also it was like 4 years ago that cory stringer died of heat stroke. When ever we have a campout and its hot someone always brings that up and we end up drinking like a liter of water right there.
One of my friends from my troop is working at TSR, specifically Souix subcamp, this summer. So I know he is going to conduct a raid one of the nights we are there. Why you ask? well I will tell you the story.
A couple of summers ago I went to a leadership camp, for our troop. Each day our patrol would have a new senior patrol leader. Well one of the other patrols were being complete dicks the entire time I was there. They would constantly make fun of everybody and push people around. We had saved our oranges for snacks. Wednesday was my day as partrol leader. So I told my patrol we were going to conduct a raid. I told them we are going to silently surround there campsite while they are at there picnic table doing what ever. So the time came, we each grabbed 3 oranges (6 people in my patrol, including me) and I told when I blow the whistle start throwing oranges at them (I forgot I had my whistle in my backpack from the previous campout). So we got into positon and I blew the whistle. The ringleader stood up and I remember those classic words he uttered "what's that sound?". Just then an orange hit him square in the head. He went down and the barrage of oranges opened up. After I was out of oranges I blew the whistle, and we went back to our campsite. For the rest of the week the other patrol never bothered anyone.
So I told that story to my buddy and he laughed his socks off. Although what he will be planning will be alot more tame than what I did. Mostly just going by our campsite and yelling like yahoo's. We'll be ready though, I plan on putting one of the older scouts out in the bushes near the road as a sentry. So it should be a good week at camp. I'll tell you all how it turned out when I get back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»